Pressure mounting on Boris Johnson to speed up improvements at Newbury Park death junction
- Credit: Archant
Pressure is mounting on Boris Johnson to speed up safety improvements at the junction where young mum Jothi Sriskandapalan died last week.
The 29-year-old was the second person to be killed in a crash near the turning from Eastern Avenue into Newbury Park Tube station.
Her funeral is today.
The previous victim was 69-year-old Dusan Danilovic, who was killed in a pile-up on January 1, 2011.
The Mayor of London pledged to improve safety at the blackspot in June following a question from assembly member Roger Evans.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Johnson said: “The new traffic light system will be in place by October 2013 but we will put other measures in place in the meantime.”
But last week, a spokesman for the mayor said that although the traffic lights are still due in autumn, nothing has yet been changed.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
Mr Evans was due to question the mayor further on plans for the junction in Mayor’s Question Time yesterday.
Cllr Ruth Clark said: “It’s so dangerous there, temporary measures should go in before the lights.