Fly-tippers to be identified by CCTV footage after Redbridge Council approves plans
PUBLISHED: 09:26 18 September 2015 | UPDATED: 09:26 18 September 2015
Fly-tippers could be named and shamed on the internet after plans for a new crackdown on the offence were approved.
At its full council meeting last night, Redbridge Council agreed to adopt a new policy, which will see CCTV footage used to catch culprits.
The local authority will also have the option of publishing images and videos of fly-tippers on its website.
Figures show fly-tipping in the borough has increased by 154 per cent over the last five years, with offences across the country rising by 20 pc in 2014/15, when compared to the previous year.
The council meeting, at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, also saw Cllr Robin Turbefield (Bridge, Conservative) ask Cllr Dev Sharma (Newbury, Labour), cabinet member for civic pride, a question on the free bulky waste service.
He said upon calling recently, he was surprised to find he would have to wait three weeks.
“I’m concerned the increase in fly-tipping is possibly because people can’t get it taken for free, so they are going back to fly-tipping,” he said.
“My question is what are you going to do about this?”
Cllr Sharma said there may be waits as the service is popular, but disputed that the number of offences has increased recently.
In an exchange with Cllr Keith Prince (Barkingside, Conservative), he said the information he has is “different”, but the latter cited the 154 pc previously mentioned and argued Cllr Sharma’s replies to members’ questions need to have more “consistency”.
The fly-tipping policy is due to come into force on October 1.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.