Police urging residents to be vigilant around cold callers after two women robbed in Redbridge
Police are urging members of the public to be more vigilant around cold callers after two women became victims of distraction burglaries yesterday.
The first incident occurred at an address in Roding Lane South, Redbridge, at 2.30pm.
A man approached the victim in a panic claiming that the woman’s neighbour had been rushed to hospital and he needed money to pay for a taxi, which was waiting outside.
The victim was sceptical and challenged the suspect, but eventually let him in. She emptied her purse and he made off with £50.
The man is described as white, between 50 and 60 years of age and approximately 5ft 8ins tall.
You may also want to watch:
He had thinning grey hair and was wearing dark-coloured trousers and a knitted jumper.
The second incident took place in Tomswood Hill, Barkingside, at 5.30pm. A man knocked on an 89-year-old woman’s door and asked for money for a taxi, stating that he was related to a neighbour.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
While the man was standing at the door, a female approached and they were both invited in after asking for a glass of water.
The victim noticed her purse, containing money, was missing and asked the pair to leave. They then made off in a dark-coloured vehicle.
The man is described as white, aged between 30 and 40 and approximately 5ft 8ins tall. He had an English accent.
The woman is thought to have been Eastern European and was 5ft 7ins in height.
Anyone with information should call Redbridge police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you are approached by a cold caller in suspicious circumstances, call 999 if it is an emergency or dial 101.