Police suspect Barkingside fire started in attempt to burgle jewellers
Police suspect that a fire started in Barkingside High Street this morning was part of an attempt to burgle the jewellery shop next door.
Firemen were called at 1.45am to Manna House Christian centre, High Street, Barkingside.
Manna House was completely gutted and the next door Allan Irving Jewellers was severely damaged.
David Dukelow, 31, who works at Bairstow Eves in High Street, said: “I’m thankful it was out of hours, I just feel so sorry for the owners. They’re nice people and lots of people have been asking about them. It’s terrible.”
Shop owners say there have been numerous attempted robberies on the jewellery shop over the past year.
You may also want to watch:
Maria Vas, manager at Cancer Research in High Street, said: “He’s such a nice man, he does valuations free of charge for us and if he has things that have not been sold then he gives them to us. It’s really shocking.”
About 30 firemen were called to the scene and a fire brigade spokesman said the fire was brought under control very quickly.
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
An eyewitness, who regularly visits the shop, said: “The whole footway is taped off, it’s completely blackened inside, there’s nothing in there.
“It’s terrible, especially with a long established business like that.
“I haven’t seen a fire like that in a long time.”
No one was injured in the fire and an investigation by police and fire authorities is underway.