Police rider injured in fatal Gants Hill crash has had ‘number of operations and is improving’
A police motorbike rider who hit and killed an elderly woman as she crossed the road has had a number of operations as he recovers from multiple injuries.
The City of London Police rider was reportedly thrown from his bike after the collision in Eastern Avenue on Tuesday morning.
Harbhajan Kaur, 78, of Eastern Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The motorbike rider, who police say suffered a number of injuries, was in a serious condition, but he is now stable.
He has undergone a number of operations and his injuries have been described as life changing, but not life threatening.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the City of London Police said the man’s condition was “improving”, but indicated the officer would remain in hospital for the “foreseeable”.
The rider was leading a London Taxidrivers’ Fund for Underprivileged Children convoy making its way to Southend.
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Man charged with Ilford robbery
- 3 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 7 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
- 8 Man wanted for allegedly driving 'recklessly' in Ilford with baby in car
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Plans for retail park development move step closer
The accident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.