Police rider injured in fatal Gants Hill crash has had ‘number of operations and is improving’
A police motorbike rider who hit and killed an elderly woman as she crossed the road has had a number of operations as he recovers from multiple injuries.
The City of London Police rider was reportedly thrown from his bike after the collision in Eastern Avenue on Tuesday morning.
Harbhajan Kaur, 78, of Eastern Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The motorbike rider, who police say suffered a number of injuries, was in a serious condition, but he is now stable.
He has undergone a number of operations and his injuries have been described as life changing, but not life threatening.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the City of London Police said the man’s condition was “improving”, but indicated the officer would remain in hospital for the “foreseeable”.
The rider was leading a London Taxidrivers’ Fund for Underprivileged Children convoy making its way to Southend.
- 1 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
- 3 Police car flips over in Chadwell Heath collision
- 4 Man stabbed in Goodmayes
- 5 Detectives hunt for knifepoint phone robber in Woodford Green
- 6 Animals bite rubbish after wheelie bin delivery delay
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Six males detained after alleged brawl in Gants Hill
- 9 Crunch meeting fails to provide breakthrough in school sick pay dispute
- 10 Teen stabbed in Chadwell Heath
The accident has been referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.