Police pay tribute to Chigwell Pc Shazahan Wadud, killed in Wanstead crash, for ‘great sense of humour’ and ‘pride in heritage’
- Credit: Archant
Police colleagues have paid tribute to the Chigwell officer killed in a road crash on Sunday as detectives renew their appeal for witnesses.
Dad-of-two Pc Shazahan Wadud, 29, died in Spratt Hall Road, Wanstead, after his motorbike and a car were in collision at about 9.15pm.
Pc Wadud, who worked for the Met in Tower Hamlets, was a “highly motivated and professional officer who was held in high esteem by all of his colleagues,” said borough commander, Ch Supt Dave Stringer.
He added: “He was sensitive in nature and had a great sense of humour which had a positive effect and influence on his colleagues.
“Shazahan was a Muslim officer and it was with pride in his heritage that he served his local community.
You may also want to watch:
“Shazahan had served with the Metropolitan Police Service for six years and was working as a response team officer in the borough of Tower Hamlets. Before becoming a police officer he served as a member of police staff.
“It was with immense pride that he served his local community, and he will be sorely missed by friends and colleagues alike.
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 3 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 4 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 5 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 6 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 7 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 8 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Tube strike set to go ahead despite last ditch talks
“Shazahan leaves behind a partner and two children and a large extended family, all of whom he was very proud of. I extend my deepest sympathy to all of them.”
The 66-year-old driver of the car, who stopped at the scene, has been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and bailed until October.
A post-mortem carried out yesterday in Walthamstow gave Pc Wadud’s cause of death as multiple injuries. An inquest will open and adjourn in due course.
Police are asking anyone who saw the crash, or has information, to call the road death investigation unit on 0208 597 4874.
If you would like to leave a tribute, call the news desk on 020 8477 3821 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.