Pleas made by Redbridge Drama Centre members as cuts loom
PUBLISHED: 09:58 20 January 2012
The second wave of budget cuts has prompted more impassioned pleas to secure the future of Redbridge Drama Centre.
The centre, in Churchfields, South Woodford, is required to cut a total of £292,000 from it’s budget over three years.
In the financial year 2012/13, it will lose a total of £186,000.
Friends of Redbridge Drama Centre member Pankaj Pathak said: “Initially the cuts have been felt on things like ticket prices, but for the forthcoming financial year, we have no idea what could happen.”
The centre also receives funding from the Arts Council, which distributes a combination of government and lottery money for artistic and cultural experiences that will enrich people’s lives.
But Mr Pathak fears this source of funding may not continue if the second wave of cuts goes ahead.
“We are concerned the Arts Council might not be able to justify continuing to help with funding because they might see giving to the centre like throwing money into a black hole, if ultimately we’re going to have to close,” he added.
Mr Pathak also accused the council of back-loading cuts. But at a cabinet meeting at Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, on Tuesday of last week, cabinet member for children’s services Cllr Alan Weinberg said: “A business plan has been prepared and the head of the drama centre is confident that these savings can be made. I’m also happy to tell cabinet that I will be doing the same for the music service and the youth service in general.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.