Plans to use Wanstead green for Olympics car park abandoned by Redbridge Council
A plan to use a historic Wanstead green to house over 1,000 cars during the Olympics has been abandoned by Redbridge Council.
The council made an informal request to the City of London Corporation, the guardians of George Green, Wanstead, to use it as a temporary car park during the Games this summer.
But a council spokesman said this afternoon: “A formal request will not be made and the council has no intention of operating George Green as a car park.”
The green is close to Wanstead Tube Station - a potential route for sports fans to get to the Olympic Park in Stratford between July 27 and August 12.
Geoff Horsnell, of The Wanstead Society, said: “That’s good news.
You may also want to watch:
“Transport for London has already said Wanstead is likely to be a hot spot for traffic during the Olympics so why would they want to put a car park there and exacerbate the traffic situation?
“I wrote to the council and suggested using Valentines Park in Ilford.
- 1 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 4 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 6 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 7 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 8 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 9 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 10 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
“It has a large car park that is used when they have cricket matches there, up to county level, it’s already in existence and Ilford provides just as easy access to Stratford as Wanstead.”
A planning application to use Eaton Manor Rugby Club in Nutter Lane, Wanstead, for a campsite for 250 pitches during the Olympics is also now on hold.
The application has been deemed invalid by Redbridge Council until the applicants provide further information.
The news comes after Wanstead and Snaresbrook Cricket & Football Club had to cancel plans to use their ground in Overton Drive, Wanstead, for Olympic camping.
Sports tour company Fanatics Australia pulled out of using the site after delays in gaining necessary approvals and a lower than anticipated response from their members.
Martin Pluck, the club’s chairman, said the cancellation was a blow to the club who were hoping to use some of the revenue to expand their work in the community and links with local schools.
He said: “We at the cricket club are obviously extremely disappointed that this project will not proceed.”
Mr Horsnell said: “We didn’t really welcome it.
“I don’t think you can blame them [the cricket club] for wanting to make a bit of money out of Olympics and improve their situation. It’s the travel company that has pulled out.”