Plans to axe Ilford mental health day centre scrapped
PLANS to close a day centre for people with mental health needs have been withdrawn after a wave of fierce opposition.
Redbridge Council chiefs have also announced today they are scrapping plans to close Abury House, Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, which is a supported accommodation complex with nine purpose-built flats for people with mental health needs.
Users of Redbridge Resource Centre, Ley Street, Ilford, have drawn up a 1000-signature petition and staged protests outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, to vent their anger at the proposals, made as part of �5.8million of cuts planned this year.
The rest of the proposed cuts, made to offset the withdrawal of government grants, will to go before members of the council’s cabinet on Tuesday.
Cllr John Fairley-Churchill, cabinet member for adult social services said: “We have carefully considered the representations made to withdraw this option from the budget savings and have decided to withdraw it.
“This will allow us to undertake a thorough review of the service and find workable options to re-provide these services.
“We understand the services offered at both Abury House and Ley Street day centre are very valuable to those who use them and we would like to reassure residents that we will consider all decisions regarding the future provision of council services as carefully as possible.”
- 1 Ten businesses crowned winners at inaugural Ilford South Business Awards
- 2 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 3 Student nurse charged with alleged rape
- 4 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 5 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 6 Second Redbridge crime enforcement hub launches in Hainault
- 7 Covid vaccine - one year on: London boroughs among worst for jab rates
- 8 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 9 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 10 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns