Plans to axe Ilford mental health day centre scrapped
PLANS to close a day centre for people with mental health needs have been withdrawn after a wave of fierce opposition.
Redbridge Council chiefs have also announced today they are scrapping plans to close Abury House, Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, which is a supported accommodation complex with nine purpose-built flats for people with mental health needs.
Users of Redbridge Resource Centre, Ley Street, Ilford, have drawn up a 1000-signature petition and staged protests outside Redbridge Town Hall, High Road, Ilford, to vent their anger at the proposals, made as part of �5.8million of cuts planned this year.
The rest of the proposed cuts, made to offset the withdrawal of government grants, will to go before members of the council’s cabinet on Tuesday.
Cllr John Fairley-Churchill, cabinet member for adult social services said: “We have carefully considered the representations made to withdraw this option from the budget savings and have decided to withdraw it.
You may also want to watch:
“This will allow us to undertake a thorough review of the service and find workable options to re-provide these services.
“We understand the services offered at both Abury House and Ley Street day centre are very valuable to those who use them and we would like to reassure residents that we will consider all decisions regarding the future provision of council services as carefully as possible.”
- 1 Owner who posted video of his restaurant defying Covid rules loses licence
- 2 Ilford man raises awareness of 'life-saving' gadget after dad's death
- 3 South Woodford post office to close in the spring
- 4 Fire breaks out at care home under renovation in Newbury Park
- 5 South Woodford flat 'has parties several times a week during lockdown'
- 6 Have you seen this 17-year-old missing from Wanstead?
- 7 Plans for 66ft 5G mast in Goodmayes alarms residents
- 8 Woman had phone stolen at knife-point in Woodford Green
- 9 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 10 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence