Plans abandoned for Olympic car park in Barkingside
Plans for a temporary Olympic car park on playing fields in Barkingside have been shelved after residents petitioned against the proposal.
Redbridge Council was offering the fields by Starch House Lane to private bidders to run during the Games.
The area is currently used for playing football, dog-walking and recreation.
Today, Redbridge Council has announced the plans have been abandoned.
A spokesman said: “Both the contractor and the council have needed to review this proposal in the light of changing circumstances and residents’ views. It will not now go ahead.”
You may also want to watch:
A number of residents from Starch House Lane were at a meeting of area committee three last week to vent their frustration at the plans for the 500-vehicle car park, which was propsoed to operate from 7am to 1am the next day during the Games.
Among them was Chris Thomas, 29, who has started a petition against the proposal.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
He said he and neighbours were concerned about the operating hours and the potential safety risk to children living in the road.
The car park was due to be in place from July 27 to August 10.
A council spokesman said earlier this month that there was no legal requirement for planning permission to be sought for the car park because it will be in place for less than 28 days.