Planning loophole leaves residents powerless to stop six-bedroom house conversion
Residents in Goodmayes have been left shocked by a planning loophole that allows properties to be converted into multiple bedsits without consultation.
Redbridge Council refused permission for a house in Woodstock Gardens, Goodmayes, to be converted with 10 rooms to let earlier this year.
More than 100 residents wrote to the council over the application but now a six-bedroom conversion is going ahead without consultation.
Only a Certificate of Lawful Development is required because the flats will not be self-contained and are below the number that need permission.
Goodmayes Residents’ Association chairman Keith Stanbury said the development would “change” the character of the quiet residential street.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “I believe it will give us a transient situation.
“People living in short-term occupancies won’t be as interested in being involved in and improving the local community.
- 1 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 2 Chigwell child sex offender who posed as teen online jailed
- 3 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Investigation underway as 20 dead birds recovered from Goodmayes Park lake
- 6 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 7 'Very challenging': Ilford businesses still struggling months after return
- 8 'She has a chance to fight it': Donor match for leukaemia patient Esha
- 9 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 10 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
“In principle, we believe that family homes in Goodmayes should not be converted into multiple flats.”
Refusing the application for the 10-bed conversion, a report said the “inappropriate” change could give rise to “increased activity, noise and general disturbance” as well as parking problems.
Planning officers will be inspecting the house every three months for the first year to ensure residents comply with regulations.
The owner of the property declined to comment.