Plan for Redbridge Carnival to coincide with Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
PUBLISHED: 09:00 15 January 2012
The annual Redbridge Carnival could be brought forward to coincide with the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and moved to Ilford Town Centre under plans.
The two-day bash would be held on the back-to-back bank holidays of Monday, June 4 and Tuesday, June 5, if approval is given by Redbridge Council.
Carnival committee chairman Wilson Chowdhry wants to move the bash from Valentines Park, off Cranbrook Road, Ilford, to the heart of the town centre.
It has been held in September since being relaunched in 2007, but Mr Chowdhry believes the success of last year’s Peace Concert, which was staged in Ilford Town Centre, will be enough to convince licensing chiefs the carnival should be brought to the heart of the town.
Mr Chowdhry said: “Britishness is something always promoted by the Queen and what more exemplary example of that is there than Redbridge?
“We have people of different cultures living together and creating such a cosmopolitan feel.”
Under plans, carnival festivities would run from noon-8pm on both days, with a stage hosting music and dance acts.
There would also be art and clay workshops for children and community and charity stalls.
The carnival procession, which would take place on the opening day of the bash, will still start in the town centre, doing a loop that would bring it back to the same spot.
Mr Chowdhry, who wants to utilise the area close to the former Harrison Gibson store for the stage, workshops and stalls, said the 12 members of the carnival committee were in support of the plans which have been submitted to the council.
He added: “I’m fairly confident that we will be able to go back to the town centre considering the success of last year’s Peace Concert.
“But I’m not expecting to hear anything [from the council] for two to three months.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.