Plan for more 20mph zones in and around Woodford Green considered
A proposal to introduce more 20mph zones in the area, or a blanket implementation, was discussed at the meeting.
Councillors noted both the benefits and the costs of the scheme, which has been enforced by Islington Council with the beginning of 20mph speed limits on its main roads.
Cllr Michael Stark (Conservative, Monkhams), speaking at last week’s area committee two meeting in Sir James Hawkey Hall, Bromhill Road, Woodford Green, said: “Hitting people at 20mph means they will likely live and that is the reason why the 20mph speed limit exists.
“It reduces a number of deaths which is a good thing. I am in full support of this, [but] my only concern is with costs.”
Cllr Linda Huggett (Con, Monkhams) said: “If it saves one life it is worthwhile.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Gwyneth Deakins (Liberal Democrat, Roding) noted the support from residents for the idea, such as parents of young children, as did Cllr Ian Bond (Lib Dem, Roding).
He said: “We have been asking residents in my ward about this for several months now. About three to one are in favour.”
- 1 Thirteen-year-old boy stabbed in Ilford
- 2 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 3 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 4 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 5 Co-living development green-lit by council despite 'rabbit hutch' rooms
- 6 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 7 Seven Kings School celebrates 90th birthday with fair
- 8 16-year-old arrested after woman reports sexual assault in South Woodford
- 9 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 10 Hainault community garden gets £85k for 'ecotherapy' scheme
Cllr Bond’s proposal for the matter to be discussed further at the committee’s next meeting was accepted, as opposed to it being referred straight to cabinet.
Officers will draw up plans for an area to trial the scheme.