Plan for extra lighting for Redbridge high street festivities
Festive celebrations in Redbridge high streets could go off with more of a bang in future if funding is approved.
The town centres of Barkingside, Gants Hill, Wanstead, South
Woodford, Chadwell Heath and Ilford Lane are set to share in a £50,000 fund for festive lights.
A report by Redbridge Council acknowledges that the lights, which it says are of “particular importance” to businesses, have often been “sparse and disappointing”.
Each town centre would get 30 lighting wraps to remain in place throughout the year and to be used for festivals such as Diwali and Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
This would be in addition to lighting schemes funded by area committees.
The proposal was due to be considered by the council’s environment service committee yesterday (Wednesday).
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 7 Walk-in Covid vaccinations on offer at Valentines Park health fair
- 8 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 9 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest