Plan for 3,000-person Olympic campsite in Woodford Green opposed by residents
About 70 residents gathered today outside Bancroft Rugby Club to show their concern about plans for up to 3,000 people to be accommodated on the pitch during the Olympic Games this summer.
The licensing application submitted to Redbridge Council states the club grounds in Buckhurst Way, on the Woodford Green/Buckhurst Hill border, will be used to accommodate staff working at the Olympic Park.
The licensing period applied for begins on July 23 and ends on August 14.
Sidney Emberru, 48, of Buckhurst Way, said: “The noise is going to be a problem as is the traffic, parking is difficult enough as it is. It’s going to impact the whole area.”
The application states the field will include bar and entertainment areas and a “central hub” where a large outdoor screen will be situated.
You may also want to watch:
Lisa Owen, 38, of Bradford Close, said: “It’s going to be the worst case scenario for the families that live here as our houses back on to the field and we’re concerned about the security of our houses.”
The licensing application was made by Oxygen Event Services Ltd and includes up to four bars with entertainment shown every night including bands, discos and film screenings until 10pm.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
Also included are two late nights for opening and closing ceremony parties which will include a band followed by disco finishing at midnight with alcohol being service until 12.45am.