PICTURES: Residents told to stay in doors during Dagenham Road, Romford armed police op
- Credit: Archant
Police armed with pistols and riffles descended on Romford last night searching for a man in his 20s.
Residents were told they could not return to their houses as police scattered around the Dagenham Road and Rush Green Road junction.
The police helicopter was involved in the search which began at about 5.45pm.
More than 50 residents were left to watch on as road after road was cordoned off and armed police jumped over fences looking for the man.
Father of two Suki Jhita, 42, of Rush Green Road, had just gone out to the shop when he was told he could not return to his house.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a big operation,” he said. “I couldn’t get back to my house so called my wife and told her to lock all the doors and just stay undercover. Lots of people were stuck and ended up in the pub.”
Armed officers swooped on an address in Old Church Gardens, Romford, just of Dagenham Road, to make an arrest but the suspect ran off.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 8 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 9 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 10 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
Two men were arrested at the scene but the third man is still being looked for.
The cordon was lifted at about 8pm.