PICTURES: Emergency services at scene of Romford bus crash which killed two elderly men
- Credit: Archant
Paramedics, police and firefighters remain at the scene of a fatal bus crash that killed two elderly men in Romford earlier today.
Eyewitness have described the “chaos” in the immediate aftermath of the accident in Western Road.
Shabbir Ahmad, whose brother owns Star Mini Cabs in Western Road, was manning the phones at 2.20pm.
He said: “At first I thought two cars had crashed, or a bus had hit another.
“When I heard screaming, I thought ‘no’.
You may also want to watch:
“I quickly rushed outside and a lady said ‘oh no, they’re dead’.
“When I looked to my right I saw the back end of the bus and there was lots of debris, bags and blood.”
- 1 Ilford charity boss named in Queen’s Birthday Honours
- 2 Ilford GP criticises NHS patient data sharing plans
- 3 Thousands sign petition opposing gas company plan to take over allotments
- 4 Ilford's Mercato Metropolitano to open in November
- 5 Ilford primary teacher joins campaign to get people teaching
- 6 Man with Hainault links wanted on recall to prison
- 7 Man jailed after gun and cocaine worth £1m found at Ilford home
- 8 Pupils prepare for summer singing festival at Kenneth More Theatre
- 9 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 10 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
To see a gallery of images from the accident scene, click on the gallery link to the right of this page.
The two victims, believed to be aged in their 60s, were hit by a 252 bus which travels from Collier Row Library to Hornchurch town centre.
Mike Weston, Transport for London’s director of Buses, said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the two people who have tragically died today after a collision with a route 252 double deck bus, operated by Stagecoach, in Romford.
“We are assisting the Metropolitan Police with their investigation into this incident.”
Did you see what happened? Call 020 8477 3826, tweet us @romfordrecorder or email firstname.lastname@example.org.