PICTURES: Emergency services at scene of Romford bus crash which killed two elderly men
- Credit: Archant
Paramedics, police and firefighters remain at the scene of a fatal bus crash that killed two elderly men in Romford earlier today.
Eyewitness have described the “chaos” in the immediate aftermath of the accident in Western Road.
Shabbir Ahmad, whose brother owns Star Mini Cabs in Western Road, was manning the phones at 2.20pm.
He said: “At first I thought two cars had crashed, or a bus had hit another.
“When I heard screaming, I thought ‘no’.
You may also want to watch:
“I quickly rushed outside and a lady said ‘oh no, they’re dead’.
“When I looked to my right I saw the back end of the bus and there was lots of debris, bags and blood.”
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 3 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 4 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 5 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 6 Thames Water says its drainage systems did not fail during flash floods
- 7 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals
- 8 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 9 Redbridge schools join forces to organise circus event
- 10 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
To see a gallery of images from the accident scene, click on the gallery link to the right of this page.
The two victims, believed to be aged in their 60s, were hit by a 252 bus which travels from Collier Row Library to Hornchurch town centre.
Mike Weston, Transport for London’s director of Buses, said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of the two people who have tragically died today after a collision with a route 252 double deck bus, operated by Stagecoach, in Romford.
“We are assisting the Metropolitan Police with their investigation into this incident.”
Did you see what happened? Call 020 8477 3826, tweet us @romfordrecorder or email email@example.com.