‘Picky’ thieves raid Barkingside allotments
Bizarre fruit and vegetable thieves have broken into an allotment to steal everything from strawberries to potatoes.
A spate of thefts have hit Fullwell Avenue North Allotments, Fullwell Avenue, Barkingside in the last two weeks.
Allotments chairman David Sevant appealed for vigilance from residents and councillors of area committee three held in Redbridge Sports and Leisure Centre, Forest Road, Barkingside on Wednesday, in the hope the food thieves can be caught before they ruin more crops.
He said: “They’ve pulled up radishes but left the smaller ones.
“Actually, they put the smaller ones back in so they’re even picky about what they’re picking.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We’ve had vandalism before but it’s so early in the season for this to be happening.
“Believe it or not, people are taking whole rows of potatoes. It’s particularly salads that they seem to be after.”
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 6 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 7 Man's suicide method thoughts were not in clinical notes, inquest hears
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Murder probe launched after mother-of-two’s body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
The thefts have been reported to the police, who Mr Sevant praised for being “very helpful”.