Pensioner, 60, denied first Redbridge Council pension on her birthday
PUBLISHED: 15:27 10 December 2014 | UPDATED: 11:36 12 December 2014
A 60-year-old former council worker who had been told computer problems were at fault for her not receiving her first pension has still yet to be paid.
Now Redbridge Council admits its none the wiser over exactly why Carolyn Martin, of Buckhurst Hill, did not receive her pension on November 26.
Retired husband Paul Martin, 61, was left to try and resolve the situation.
“When I pressed Redbridge Council they simply said they were working with a new system that did not work properly,” he said.
“I have worked in a human resources department for years and you just press a button and the person is added to the pay role.”
The couple had ear marked some of the money for the Christmas period and had even hoped to pay for a birthday trip to the Caribbean in January.
“We will have to use a credit card now while we wait for the money to come through,” said Mr Martin. “It is an extraordinary situation.
“It is very annoying for me – it is stealing essentially because they have got our money.
“But we are the lucky ones and we can get by financially.”
Mrs Martin, who left Redbridge Council’s housing department 32 years ago, still has not received her private pension.
A council spokesman did confirm, however, the local authority was trying to solve the problem.
“The computer system was not the reason that the individual did not receive the pension payment,” the spokesman said.
“The council is working to directly resolve the individual’s concerns and there has not been a delay in other people’s pension payments.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.