Patients fears over future of Newbury Park GP Surgery
Concerned patients who fear the closure of their GP surgery have started a petition to save it from closure.
The online petition to keep Spearpoint Gardens Surgery, Adborough Road North, Newbury Park, was begun by resident and former Councillor Loraine Sladden on May 23, who has previously campaigned to keep it open.
Campaigners say the closure of the popular practice will mean a three mile round trip to nearby Cameron Road Surgery, in Seven Kings which, they say, is already oversubscribed. Mrs Sladden said: “I successfully waged war with a fact finding mission and petition against the Primary Care Trust to prevent this surgery from closure not once but twice.
“Spearpoint Gardens Surgery has been a GP Practice for nearly 50 years. It is crucial that it remains as a surgery and continues to be a hub of the community.”
So far 47 people have pledged their support to the cause on the website.
You may also want to watch:
Signatory Ron Jeffries wrote: “I am appalled at the proposal to close this surgery. Very many elderly folk are able to walk to this surgery - just - but Cameron Road would be impossible for them - and they do not have cars.”
Another, Patricia Roper, said: “Unless it is considered that the community exists for the surgery’s benefit, and not the other way round, this plan is a nonsense.”
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
A spokesman for NHS Outer North East London said: “No decision about the future of the GP practice at Spearpoint Gardens has been made at the moment. This will eventually be made by the local GP consortium, but we can reassure patients that services are currently continuing as normal.”