Patients fears over future of Newbury Park GP Surgery
Concerned patients who fear the closure of their GP surgery have started a petition to save it from closure.
The online petition to keep Spearpoint Gardens Surgery, Adborough Road North, Newbury Park, was begun by resident and former Councillor Loraine Sladden on May 23, who has previously campaigned to keep it open.
Campaigners say the closure of the popular practice will mean a three mile round trip to nearby Cameron Road Surgery, in Seven Kings which, they say, is already oversubscribed. Mrs Sladden said: “I successfully waged war with a fact finding mission and petition against the Primary Care Trust to prevent this surgery from closure not once but twice.
“Spearpoint Gardens Surgery has been a GP Practice for nearly 50 years. It is crucial that it remains as a surgery and continues to be a hub of the community.”
So far 47 people have pledged their support to the cause on the website.
You may also want to watch:
Signatory Ron Jeffries wrote: “I am appalled at the proposal to close this surgery. Very many elderly folk are able to walk to this surgery - just - but Cameron Road would be impossible for them - and they do not have cars.”
Another, Patricia Roper, said: “Unless it is considered that the community exists for the surgery’s benefit, and not the other way round, this plan is a nonsense.”
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 3 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 7 Cycling access extended at Wanstead Park
- 8 Oxford student bids to improve top university access for state school pupils
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Former Woodford Police Station could become office space
A spokesman for NHS Outer North East London said: “No decision about the future of the GP practice at Spearpoint Gardens has been made at the moment. This will eventually be made by the local GP consortium, but we can reassure patients that services are currently continuing as normal.”