Parents disagree with suicide verdict after daughter jumps from bridge
The mum of a 16-year-old girl who jumped from a bridge has said there was “not enough evidence” after an inquest ruled it as a suicide.
Wendy Maguire of Henley Road, Ilford was twice the legal drink drive limit when she jumped off a bridge onto a motorway.
A ruling of suicide was given by Walthamstow Coroners Court earlier today.
Wendy’s mother Leila, 49, said that her daughter was a bright and popular girl and that she did not agree with the suicide verdict.
Speaking after the inquest Mrs Maguire said: “She dreamed of becoming an accountant and was looking forward to going to university. This was not a girl who would take her own life. I don’t think there was enough evidence to come to this verdict.”
You may also want to watch:
Miss Maguire who attended The Palmer Catholic Academy, Aldborough Road South, Seven Kings was sent to the headteacher’s office after staff smelt alcohol on her breath.
It is believe she had done shots before class started. Miss Maguire then made her way to the footbridge over the A12 in Leytonstone before jumping onto the motorway on January 13.
- 1 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 2 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 3 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 4 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 5 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 6 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 7 'I know how much they help': Teacher to continue motivational sessions
- 8 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 9 Parents of man with special educational needs slam council over his care
- 10 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
Mrs Maguire said: “Wendy was confident, popular and smart. No one has come forward to say they saw her climbing on the footbridge which she would have had to have done to jump.”
Her parents said she had never expressed any suicidal thought before.
Her dad Niall said: “We talked about what she wanted to do in years to come. We didn’t expect this at all.”
Eyewitnesses then saw her leaning over the railings looking down into the traffic below before jumping off.
A post-mortem revealed Wendy died of head injuries.
Coroner Chinyere Inyama said: “My view is that Wendy, thinking she was going to be in trouble, in a short space of time thought things through and decided she was going to jump off the bridge.”