Royal Mail’s parcel postboxes rolled out across Havering
- Credit: SWNS
Parcel postboxes have been unveiled in locations across east London, including Romford, Harold Hill, Elm Park and Hornchurch.
The launch of parcels postboxes across the UK will see Royal Mail convert existing meter boxes to accept parcels posted in the same way that letters are today.
In Romford, boxes can be found in South Street, Western Road and Romford Station.
They can also be found in Elm Park, Collier Row, Fairview Industrial Estate in Rainham and Ashton Road in Harold Hill.
The initiative follows a successful trial of the boxes in 2018 and the postboxes will include a wider aperture and secure design.
You may also want to watch:
This is the first time parcel postboxes have been widely introduced in the UK, and the launch represents the first major change of use for the postbox since it was introduced 160 years ago.
The change means that small businesses and marketplace sellers can post pre-paid parcels through securely designed parcel postboxes, in the same way that they currently post a letter.
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 3 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 4 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 7 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 8 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP
- 9 Woman's body found in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Ilford mosque attendees attacked with eggs and stones
Customers will also be able to post some return parcels at any time, seven days a week.
Mark Street, head of campaigns at Royal Mail said: "The introduction of parcel postboxes in central, east and greater London means that customers can now send parcels with pre-paid postage and their returns in the same way that they do letters.
"The new parcel postboxes provide added flexibility to online sellers who might be running a business in their spare time and not keeping regular office hours."