Paralympic Legacy Torch Relay starting in Seven Kings to campaign for Crossrail access
Campaigners fighting for step-free access at Seven Kings station will start a Paralympic Legacy Torch Relay from the station tomorrow.
Residents and councillors will join members of Transport for All at the station in High Road, Seven Kings, to start the relay to meet groups from across London at the Crossrail head offices in Canary Wharf.
Torchbearers will carry a special “torch” displaying the figure 0.2 per cent, which Transport for All says is the proportion of the Crossrail budget needed to make the new line totally step-free.
Seven Kings station is one of a handful on the Crossrail route that is not due to have lifts for disabled access.
Plans only include new public information screens, CCTV and a public toilet.
You may also want to watch:
Lianna Etkind, from Transport for All, said the “relay” will have to travel from Seven Kings to Stratford by bus to catch the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf.
She added: “It shows how much longer it takes without being able to use the train line.
- 1 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 2 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 6 Hospital's failure to identify neck injury 'contributed' to courier's death, inquest finds
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 9 Wanstead rugby youngsters return to action with a win over rivals Woodford
- 10 Council seeks public input after York Road anti-social behaviour concerns
“I hope the relay will show the strength of feeling there is.
“After the Paralympics, there should be a real legacy for disabled and older people being able to use transport with the same freedom as everybody else.”
Everyone is welcome to join the relay starting at 9.30am at Seven Kings station.