Our torchbearers set off from Ilford for Paralympic torch relay
This was the moment five lucky people from Redbridge set off for their starting positions at the Paralympic torch relay this morning.
All five are members of the Golden Years Dance Troup and will carry the torch in Southwark this afternoon.
Joan Sheridan, 75, of Brunswick Gardens, Newbury Park, speaking before the relay said: “I’m excited about being a Paralympic torchbearer. I just wanted to be so involved with it.”
Kathleen Barclay, 73, of Bedford Road, Ilford and Saraswathee Apoolingum, 67 of Gants Hill will be taking up the torch from Jamaica Road, Southwark.
Chitra De Silva, 73 and Clarence Barber, 71, both of Newbury Park, will also be running. They were chosen from many public nominations.
You may also want to watch:
On the Paralympics website it said the group was nominated for their dedication and for being an inspiration to young people.
It said; “They are willing to try anything once and are truly unique, they are passionate about the Games and an inspiration to the younger generation.”
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder