Orient’s Mooney scoops Football League award
- Credit: Archant
David Mooney has been named the Sky Bet League One player of the month for September ahead of Leyton Orient’s trip to Oldham Athletic tomorrow.
The striker has enjoyed a flying start to the campaign as the O’s top the League One table by three points.
Mooney, 28, scored four times in September to take his tally for the season to nine in total, with the latest coming last weekend as the O’s dropped their first points of the season when they were held by 10-man Walsall in a 1-1 draw.
And that form saw him nominated for the League One player award, along with Peterborough striker Britt Assombalonga, Preston’s attacking left back Scott Laird and Bradford City’s Kyel Reid.
On winning the award Mooney saud “It’s fantastic for me and I’m delighted but it’s as much an award for the rest of the team as it is for me. I just want Saturday to come around now I’m hoping to get 10.
You may also want to watch:
“I just want to keep going, Me and Kev (Lisbie) keep saying to each other before every game ‘lets get a goal’ and were big on that. I think this year every game one of us has scored and I think if we can keep that going then hopefully the team will keep winning.”
The judging panel compromised of Sky Sports Football League expert Don Goodman, Football League Head of Communications John Nagle, League Managers’ Association Director Olaf Dixon and Sky Bet Head of Football Paul Wiggins.
- 1 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 3 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new café in Redbridge
- 4 Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- 5 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 6 Homebuilder steps back from proposals over rising projected costs
- 7 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 8 Ilford care home nominated for two national awards
- 9 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 10 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford