Orient follow Hearn’s instructions as they await FA Cup draw
- Credit: Archant
Leyton Orient chairman Barry Hearn told the players to make sure they were still in the FA Cup before the 1-0 win over Walsall.
That’s according to assistant manager Kevin Nugent, who was standing in for the ill boss Russell Slade.
Dean Cox scored the only goal shortly before half-time at Brisbane Road as a depleted Orient overcame their League One rivals.
Nugent said: “Barry (Hearn) just said make sure we’re in the hat, whoever we get we’ll be looking to win.
“The FA Cup is financially rewarding as well and I don’t think it will be a detriment to the side.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t think it’s lost its magic, it’s still a great competition.”
Slade watched the game in his flat overlooking Brisbane Road, and was spotted celebrating on the balcony when Cox fired the winner into the top corner.
- 1 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 2 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 3 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 4 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 5 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 6 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 7 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 8 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
The win was slightly marred by a late red card for top scorer David Mooney, who was shown a straight red for kicking out at Saddlers defender Paul Downing, with the pair having a running battle all afternoon.
Nugent said: “We’re hopeful Kevin Lisbie will be back soon with David Mooney out for the next few games.
“It was a disciplined performance in a tight game.
“They’ve only conceded 18 goals this season so we knew they’d be hard to break down.”
The draw for the third round takes place at 4pm this afternoon on ITV1.