Only Way is Essex Mark’s Woodford Green bar licence bid snubbed
THE licensing gloom for residents has been lifted after a bar run by Only Way is Essex star Mark Wright had its bid to trade until 4.30am rejected.
Various nightspots in Woodford Green and South Woodford have been granted late night opening hours recently which has attracted hundreds of complaints but the trend has been broken at Deuces Bar and Lounge, Chigwell Road.
Deuces, which featured on the ITV2 reality TV soap, will be restricted to a 1am closing time on Friday and Saturday nights and 12am during the week following concerns from police and more than 50 letters of objection.
Chairman of the Woodford Green Amenity Group Geoff Stimpson described the decision as a “big victory” for residents
He said: “Our fears were taken into consideration and finally we have been listened to.
“A closing time of 4.30am would have had a terrible effect on the area and I am pleased common sense has prevailed.”
He added: “We have not had much luck with licensing applications recently but hopefully this result will set a precedent for the future.”
- 1 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 4 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 5 Redbridge Council is watching you: Mobile CCTV vehicle set to tackle crime
- 6 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 7 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 9 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
Bridge ward Cllr Paul Canal said residents had suffered lots of problems with the previous bar on the site, The Manor House and suggested turning Deuces into a more suitable establishment for the area.
Mr Wright confirmed the decision would be appealed.
Last month Only Way is Essex cast members shunned their end of season party at Funky Mojoe, High Road, South Woodford in favour of the opening of Deuces.
A Christmas special has been confirmed for the reality programme, which pulled in 1.6million TV viewers, and a best of show is due to be aired tomorrow.