Only Way is Essex Mark’s Woodford Green bar licence bid snubbed
THE licensing gloom for residents has been lifted after a bar run by Only Way is Essex star Mark Wright had its bid to trade until 4.30am rejected.
Various nightspots in Woodford Green and South Woodford have been granted late night opening hours recently which has attracted hundreds of complaints but the trend has been broken at Deuces Bar and Lounge, Chigwell Road.
Deuces, which featured on the ITV2 reality TV soap, will be restricted to a 1am closing time on Friday and Saturday nights and 12am during the week following concerns from police and more than 50 letters of objection.
Chairman of the Woodford Green Amenity Group Geoff Stimpson described the decision as a “big victory” for residents
He said: “Our fears were taken into consideration and finally we have been listened to.
You may also want to watch:
“A closing time of 4.30am would have had a terrible effect on the area and I am pleased common sense has prevailed.”
He added: “We have not had much luck with licensing applications recently but hopefully this result will set a precedent for the future.”
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 4 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 5 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 8 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 9 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 10 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
Bridge ward Cllr Paul Canal said residents had suffered lots of problems with the previous bar on the site, The Manor House and suggested turning Deuces into a more suitable establishment for the area.
Mr Wright confirmed the decision would be appealed.
Last month Only Way is Essex cast members shunned their end of season party at Funky Mojoe, High Road, South Woodford in favour of the opening of Deuces.
A Christmas special has been confirmed for the reality programme, which pulled in 1.6million TV viewers, and a best of show is due to be aired tomorrow.