Olympics makes Ilford ‘fastest growing holiday town in Europe’
Ilford has topped the list of Europe’s fastest growing popular holiday destinations, according to a travel website.
Trip Advisor compared page views of its website with those last year of destinations across Europe, the little-known French village of Valras-Plage came second.
Ilford Town Centre manager Neil Davis said: “We knew Ilford would be a really great gateway because of its proximity to the Olympics.
“It’s important from our point of view that everybody who goes through Ilford during the Olympics feels safe, welcomed and feel the area is distinctive,” he added.
Hotels across the borough have reported that rooms are either sold out, or most are booked.
You may also want to watch:
At the Holiday Inn Express in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, rooms are unavailable as they have been allocated to LOCOG, the London 2012 organising committee.
In Ilford, the Cranbrook Hotel in Coventry Road is reporting to be half full during next year’s games.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 4 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 5 Young Citizen nominee: Esha, 4, who inspired thousands to join bone marrow donor list
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 9 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 10 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence