Olympics makes Ilford ‘fastest growing holiday town in Europe’
Ilford has topped the list of Europe’s fastest growing popular holiday destinations, according to a travel website.
Trip Advisor compared page views of its website with those last year of destinations across Europe, the little-known French village of Valras-Plage came second.
Ilford Town Centre manager Neil Davis said: “We knew Ilford would be a really great gateway because of its proximity to the Olympics.
“It’s important from our point of view that everybody who goes through Ilford during the Olympics feels safe, welcomed and feel the area is distinctive,” he added.
Hotels across the borough have reported that rooms are either sold out, or most are booked.
You may also want to watch:
At the Holiday Inn Express in Eastern Avenue, Newbury Park, rooms are unavailable as they have been allocated to LOCOG, the London 2012 organising committee.
In Ilford, the Cranbrook Hotel in Coventry Road is reporting to be half full during next year’s games.
- 1 'Uproar' at decision to fell protected oak tree in Hainault
- 2 Former Homebase development plans approved
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Water company apologises for phone line waits as flood response branded 'woefully inadequate'
- 5 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Developments approved in Redbridge so far in 2021
- 8 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder