Olympic countdown starts in Redbridge with ‘Inspiration Roadshows’
The countdown to the Olympics started with music, dancing and space hoppers for Redbridge’s first ‘Inspiration Roadshow’ on Saturday.
Crowds watched live bands, a fashion show and dancing, including a performance from groovy pensioners in the Golden Years Dance Troupe in Barkingside Recreation Ground.
Olympic mascots Wenlock and Manderville made an appearance at the event and visitors got into the Olympic spirit by trying out different sports and dressing as their favourite sports stars.
Cllor Robin Turbefield, the cabinet member for Leisure and Youth Services, said: “The Inspiration Roadshows are designed to celebrate the countdown to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Redbridge and to ensure that the local community has access to a range of fun opportunities to get involved in.”
The ‘Big Up Redbridge Crew’, helped the audience get involved on the day with a giant tug of war and space hopper challenge.
You may also want to watch:
The roadshow will visit Chigwell, Woodford, Ilford and other places in the run-up to the Games.
- 1 More than £5m worth of stolen vehicles recovered in first Redbridge Action Week
- 2 Cost of damage runs into thousands as Clayhall street clears up after floods
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Olympian-trained South Woodford sprinter, 8, breaks record in Manchester
- 5 Litter in Redbridge parks quadruples in one year, council reveals
- 6 TV's Ben Shephard opens island themed playground at children’s hospice
- 7 Redbridge clean-up underway after flash floods close A&E and damage homes
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Barkingside man arrested on suspicion of firearms offences
- 10 The Sikh Network on grieving in lockdown and death 'as a process of life'