Olympic countdown starts in Redbridge with ‘Inspiration Roadshows’
The countdown to the Olympics started with music, dancing and space hoppers for Redbridge’s first ‘Inspiration Roadshow’ on Saturday.
Crowds watched live bands, a fashion show and dancing, including a performance from groovy pensioners in the Golden Years Dance Troupe in Barkingside Recreation Ground.
Olympic mascots Wenlock and Manderville made an appearance at the event and visitors got into the Olympic spirit by trying out different sports and dressing as their favourite sports stars.
Cllor Robin Turbefield, the cabinet member for Leisure and Youth Services, said: “The Inspiration Roadshows are designed to celebrate the countdown to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Redbridge and to ensure that the local community has access to a range of fun opportunities to get involved in.”
The ‘Big Up Redbridge Crew’, helped the audience get involved on the day with a giant tug of war and space hopper challenge.
You may also want to watch:
The roadshow will visit Chigwell, Woodford, Ilford and other places in the run-up to the Games.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder