Older People’s Week: Yoga class held in Ilford to ‘celebrate our elders’
- Credit: Archant
Prayers were held before people of different faiths took part in a yoga class for Older People’s Week.
Former GP Dr Sudarshan Kapur, 76, of The Drive, South Woodford, led the class before participants had the chance to sing songs and take part in garba dancing – a traditional Indian dance.
More than 60 people took part in the event at the Panjabi Centre, Ley Street, Ilford, yesterday.
“It went very well,” said Dr Kapur. “It was marvellous.
“We started with breathing exercises and then a prayer and people recited poems.”
You may also want to watch:
The health-conscious pensioner said the event was about staying healthy and making friends.
“Everyone was very happy,” she said. “People were asking us to do more events to help people mix together.”
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 5 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 6 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 7 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 8 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 9 Jailed: Newbury Park man for 'ludicrous' bid to defraud employer of £670k
- 10 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
She added: “It’s very important to celebrate the week – to let people know that age is no bar to your activity.
“We’re not sitting at home depressed – we’re doing so much for our health and wellbeing and we’re asking people to join us.”
Classes are held weekly. Call 074 3831 9194 to find out more.