Older People’s Week: Yoga class held in Ilford to ‘celebrate our elders’
- Credit: Archant
Prayers were held before people of different faiths took part in a yoga class for Older People’s Week.
Former GP Dr Sudarshan Kapur, 76, of The Drive, South Woodford, led the class before participants had the chance to sing songs and take part in garba dancing – a traditional Indian dance.
More than 60 people took part in the event at the Panjabi Centre, Ley Street, Ilford, yesterday.
“It went very well,” said Dr Kapur. “It was marvellous.
“We started with breathing exercises and then a prayer and people recited poems.”
You may also want to watch:
The health-conscious pensioner said the event was about staying healthy and making friends.
“Everyone was very happy,” she said. “People were asking us to do more events to help people mix together.”
- 1 Police appeal to find girl, 12, last seen in Wanstead Park
- 2 Primary schools in Redbridge rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Seven Kings man charged in connection with alleged sex assault on boy
- 4 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Panel finds ex-police officer would have been sacked for neighbour comments
- 7 Update: Man charged in connection with alleged sex assault
- 8 Dispersal order issued ahead of fears over ‘illegal music events’
- 9 Woman and children treated for smoke inhalation after Ilford flat fire
- 10 Ilford mother 'could have been saved' and NHS 'failed' her, family tells inquest
She added: “It’s very important to celebrate the week – to let people know that age is no bar to your activity.
“We’re not sitting at home depressed – we’re doing so much for our health and wellbeing and we’re asking people to join us.”
Classes are held weekly. Call 074 3831 9194 to find out more.