Old Loughtonians’ rising stars set for Futures Cup
Five Old Loughtonians’ rising stars have been selected from a pool of the country’s most promising young hockey players to participate in the Futures Cup.
Emily Defroand will captain the Saxon Tigers under-18s girls and play alongside club-mate Emily Wills.
Chigwell school pupils Conor Caplan and William Godfrey have been named in the Saxon Tigers under-16s boys’ squad, while James Albery has been selected for the under-18s.
The tournament begins today (Thursday) and will be held at Cannock Hockey Club in Staffordshire over four days and is part of the England Hockey Board’s long-term athlete development strategy, the Single System.
The Loughts quintet are among 288 youngsters that have been whittled down from a pool of 2,500 and will compete in the tournament designed to replicate a senior international event following four months of coaching and advice on fitness, nutrition and lifestyle management at 12 Junior Regional Performance Centres across England.
You may also want to watch:
EHB’s national manager for the Single System, Melissa Bennett, said: “The participants will experience a hockey tournament in a performance environment with the focus on implementing the core skills developed over their training sessions.
“It also provides a chance for coaches and managers to get a taste of how important their roles are in the coordination and development of players in this environment.”
- 1 Ilford care home turned into studio flats for rough sleepers
- 2 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 3 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 4 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 5 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 6 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
- 7 Cannabis and rambo knife sniffed out by police dog in Gants Hill bust
- 8 New councillors for Loxford and Seven Kings react to by-election wins
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Labour's shadow cabinet reshuffle sees new role for Ilford North MP