Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- Credit: The Jeffries Family
The funeral for community champion Ron Jeffries is set for Friday, February 5 and his family have set up a fundraiser to causes which were important to him.
Ron died on the morning of December 15 at the age of 87. His funeral at St Peter's Aldborough Hatch will take place at 1.30pm on February 5 by invitation only due to Covid-19 restrictions.
However the funeral will be streamed live on the church's Facebook page for anyone who would like to attend virtually.
Ron's children Graham, Heather and Richard have launched a fundraiser to raise money for The Children's Society and St Peter's. The proceeds will be split equally between the two.
In a statement they said: "Dad left us clear instructions that his funeral should be a 'jolly affair with lots of smiles and laughter'.
"His 'suggestions' included some rousing and reflective hymns, but of course he didn't foresee the restrictions caused by a national lockdown.
"Therefore a full celebration, with the chance for us all to share our memories of Dad together, will be held in the summer."
Ron, a former magistrate and perpetual campaigner, was a community stalwart who was passionate about the environment and protecting Fairlop Waters. He died at King George Hospital.
He was a founding member of the Aldborough Hatch Defence Association (AHDA), a residents' group, working in partnership with Redbridge Council to protect Fairlop Waters.
At the beginning of lockdown he reinvented St Peter's broadsheet, which he had been responsible for the past 30 years, into The Aldborough - a weekly information and news sheet to keep people informed throughout the pandemic.
When Ron died tributes poured in highlighting his decency, quick wit and passion for the community with Cllr John Howard calling him "a giant of Aldborough Hatch".
Wes Streeting MP said he was looking forward to the post-lockdown celebration of Ron adding: "I have no doubt that the church would have been packed to the rafters, such was the love for him in Aldborough Hatch and far beyond.”
To view the virtual stream of the funeral on Friday, February 5 at 1.30pm visit St Peter's Facebook page or email email@example.com for a Zoom link and to contribute to the fundraiser visit https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/inmemoryronjeffries.
- 1 Council offers update on regeneration projects at Ilford BID webinar
- 2 Ilford church turns into vaccine pop-up clinic
- 3 No 10 at odds with Redbridge Council over masks for primary children
- 4 Former Islington head announced as new interim chief exec for Redbridge Council
- 5 Sadiq has proposed Boundary Charge for cars coming from outside London
- 6 South African Covid variant found in Ilford, 'surge testing' to begin
- 7 Redbridge students rewarded by police for mental health artwork
- 8 Post Office pledges permanent presence in South Woodford as current site to close in April
- 9 People urged to take part in seven-day food waste challenge
- 10 Green Business scheme proposed by Conservatives voted down