Notts County boss Derry: Sacking Slade at O’s would have been ‘absolutely bonkers’
- Credit: EMPICS Sport
Notts County boss Shaun Derry believes the game ‘has gone absolutely bonkers’ if Leyton Orient had sacked manager Russell Slade last night.
Slade was told he needed to win the game at Meadow Lane last night to stay as the O’s boss.
But after meeting owner and chairman Francesco Becchetti, the 53-year-old remains in the job going into Saturday’s trip to Scunthorpe United.
And Derry, who was brought to the Magpies by Slade at the age of 14, was in total shock that the O’s were even contemplating getting ride of the fourth longest serving manager in English Football League, behind only Arsene Wenger, Paul Tisdale and Mark Yates.
“I don’t know what decision is going to be made in there. If the rumours are right and he needed this as a win tonight – I have got no words.
You may also want to watch:
“I think the game has gone absolutely bonkers and the sooner people realise that the better.
“You are not just talking about a good manager for Leyton Orient. He’s been a good manager for every club he has been at.
- 1 Mercato Ilford 'delayed again' as council pushes for Christmas opening
- 2 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 3 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 4 'Not acceptable': Residents mount opposition to plumbers' building plan
- 5 Two more police 'enforcement hubs' to open in Redbridge
- 6 Jailed: Men who laundered £25m from cash and carry warehouses
- 7 Cross-party group demands mayor reject Tesco Goodmayes development
- 8 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
- 9 Police warn of 'violence, urination' as takeaway applies for late licence
- 10 'Sick and tired': More restaurants fall victim to Just Eat scammers
“He started here and gone on all his journeys, done it right, got manager of the year at various places and got them within one kick, not just one game, one kick of the Championship last year.
“I was there at the game, there was nothing between the two sides, absolutely nothing. It was one kick and that was it. He finds himself with the possibility of being without a job. Absolutely scandalous.”