No TfL U-turn on Eastern Avenue U-turn signs despite driver complaints
- Credit: Archant
Transport for London (TfL) has no plans to put no U-turn signs at a busy Goodmayes junction despite complaints from confused drivers being fined for the manoeuvre.
TfL started “enforcing” the ban on U-turns at the junction of Eastern Avenue, Barley Lane and Hainault Road with fines in January, sparking anger from drivers who say it is not adequately signposted.
There is a right turn only sign at the junction, unlike the no U-turn signs elsewhere on the A12.
Cars frequently turn from the westbound to eastbound carriageways of the road at the junction to avoid travelling to a roundabout or using side roads.
Sam Veerasamy was fined £65 for performing the manoeuvre.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “There is no ‘no U-turn’ sign on Eastern Avenue, Barley Lane, but a camera in situ on the opposite side of the road.
“Yet we have several warnings on U-turns on Ley Street, Eastern Avenue.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
“Why this discrepancy?”
A TfL spokesperson said the existing right turn arrows indicate the ban and enforcement is “in the interests of safety”.
He added: “TfL continues to monitor driver behaviour at the junction to see whether additional signage is required.
“In addition, we are also carrying out further work to see whether further improvements could be made which would help provide better facilities for pedestrians and reduce collisions and delays at this junction.”