Nine motor homes of travellers at Wanstead Rugby Club to be evicted
- Credit: Archant
Travellers who parked their caravans at a rugby club after breaking through a fence are to be evicted today.
Police will remove the travellers after they arrived last Thursday at Wanstead Rugby Club, in Roding Lane North, Woodford Green.
Martin Curry, the club president, said it is the second time in his 30-year connection with the club, a set of travellers has set up home on the site.
He said: “Nine motor homes came last Thursday and parked down one side of the pitches and someone had to persuade them to come off the pitches.”
Mr Curry said Redbridge Council immediately advised him to employ 24-hour security with a dog to reduce further risk of damage to the club.
You may also want to watch:
He added the overall bill, including the security cost, will be nearly £1,000 after the travellers “cut the fence” to force entry onto the club’s pitches.
Cllr Paul Canal, a Bridge ward councillor, said: “It is simply wrong that any group can illegally occupy private land without the owners having an immediate right to evict them.
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Covid patient numbers rebound at Barts Health hospitals
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
“It is also completely unacceptable that the costs of the clean up will fall on the rugby club and local rate payers.”
Redbridge Council issued an enforcement order demanding the travellers leave by 2pm on Sunday.
When the travellers failed to leave the police advised them they would take robust action to force the travellers to move.
One group left on Sunday night, with the remaining caravans expected to leave today.
Do you have any pictures of the caravans at Wanstead Rugby Club?
Please email email@example.com