Newbury Park mum wants disabled son home for Christmas
PUBLISHED: 13:03 15 November 2010
THE MOTHER of a disabled boy has said she is determined to have her son home this Christmas, two years after he was knocked down by a car.
Calvin Hill, of Newbury Park, was 14 when he was seriously injured while crossing the A12 in November 2008. He was left brain damaged and unable to use his limbs.
Since then he has spent the last year on a waiting list for a suitable and adapted home – but this Christmas will be the first he is well enough to return home.
Calvin’s mother, Louise, says she is angry at the council “wasting money” on his temporary care while a suitably adapted property is found.
She said: “Redbridge Council are spending £115,000 a year on looking after Calvin while a suitable home is found for him.
“They could buy a new place and rent it back to me.”
Calvin’s 17th birthday on December 24 will be his third away from home.
As well as this, the special needs residential college where he is staying in Hampshire shuts down during the festive period.
Said Louise: “This year, we are effectively homeless. All I want for Christmas is my son home.”
She says the three homes she was offered by Redbridge Council were unsuitable due to their small size and location.
A spokesman for Redbridge Council said: “Her case has been awarded a high priority and council officers are currently working with her to find a suitable property and have taken all reasonable steps to assist the family.
“Unfortunately, due to the nature of the property that is needed, there is a limited number available at any time.”
Calvin’s mother is fundraising to get him a wheelchair. To donate, cheques made payable to Calvin Hill can be sent to: The Children’s Trust, Calvin Hill, Oak House, Tadworth, Surrey, KT20 5RU.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ilford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.