Newbury Park brewery owner attempts to lose 10 stone for charity after death of friend’s daughter
- Credit: Archant
A microbrewery owner from Newbury Park has decided to shed the pounds in a sponsored diet to raise money for charity after his friend’s nine-year-old daughter lost her battle with leukaemia earlier this year.
Accountant and part-founder of the Ha’penny Brewery, Chris Penny, of Quebec Road, decided to embark on a life-altering task to raise money and awareness for the charity, Children with Cancer UK.
The 33-year-old is taking part in a sponsored diet to help raise funds for the charity and thank them for helping his school friend, Amanda Conway’s daughter, Louise before she died in February.
Weighing 31 stone, Chris started the Slimming World diet on June 18, cutting out all favourites including crisps, fizzy drinks and chocolate, and intends to lose 10 stone in a year.
After only nine weeks, he is on target after losing three stone, which he hopes will help improve his fitness levels.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It has been difficult in a way, as I’ve never attempted dieting before but I thought it would be harder than I’m finding it at the moment. The thought of raising money for a charity makes it easier, because I can’t let them down.
“Having seen what leukaemia does to a family and seeing how charities like Children with Cancer UK help I decided that I wanted to try and raise as much money and awareness as I can for them, so they can continue their great work.”
- 1 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 2 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts
- 3 Average Redbridge house price nearly £30k higher than last year
- 4 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Businesses find cannabis growing in their flower pots
- 6 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 7 Two arrests after alleged assault on teen in Newbury Park
- 8 Fire at Ilford Lane shop was accidental, brigade says
- 9 Covid jabs available at town hall clinic
- 10 Hainault woman celebrates 100th birthday with mayoral visit
Chris, who hopes to raise £1,000, added: “What I’m missing the most is beer, not being able to sit there and sample our own products willy nilly is a pain, but it hasn’t been too hard yet, although it has only been eight weeks.”
To sponsor Chris during his fundraising mission and to support this great cause, please visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/chrisPenny1 for more information.