Newbury Park brewery boss Chris shedding pounds and piling up the charity cash
- Credit: Archant
A brewery owner who tasked himself with shedding 10 stone in a year for charity is on track to fulfil his challenge.
Chris Penny, 34, has raised £2,300 for Children with Cancer UK after going from 31 stone to 21 stone one pound.
He now has a week to lose the last pound and, if he does so, he will receive a further £1,500 in sponsorship.
Chris, one of the owners of the Ha’Penny Brewing Company, in Aldborough Road North, Newbury Park, embarked on the challenge after friend Amanda Conway lost her nine-year-old daughter Louise to leukaemia.
Chris said: “I must admit it has not been as difficult as I thought it would have been, but saying that it was not easy.
You may also want to watch:
“I have had great support from my work colleagues and friends who have put me back on track whenever I have wanted to slip up.
“Having the charity involved has also helped as every time I wanted something naughty, at the back of my head a voice was saying that it would cost the charity money.”
- 1 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 2 Ex-council staff who was sacked after bailiffs turned up at his work loses unfair dismissal claim
- 3 'Like prisoners in our home': Parents of attacked 13-year-old speak out
- 4 Walk It Out founder launches women's boxing classes
- 5 Thirteen-year-old boy attacked in Ilford
- 6 Restaurant apologises after allegations of verbal abuse between staff
- 7 Vulnerable woman dies burning charcoal for warmth after gas and electricity are cut off
- 8 Eatery 'at risk of closure' as scammers exploit Just Eat loophole
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 New boats arrive at Fairlop Waters amid country park investment plan
Chris has lost the weight through eating healthy snacks and replacing fizzy drinks with sugar-free squash or water.
He said: “I am proud of what I have achieved, but the main thing is raising funds for this charity.
“When I started out I did not think I would raise nearly £5,000 - this to me is fantastic and shows the support of everyone I know.”
Chris is hosting a fundraising event at the Monkhams pub in Buckhurst Hill on Friday in the hopes of collecting even more money.
He will be having his hair and beard shaved off and there will also be a raffle with a range of prizes.
To sponsor Chris, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/chrisPenny1.