Valentines Park bench dedicated to couple described as 'pillars of community'
- Credit: Ravi Bhanot
A new bench has been installed in Ilford's Valentines Park, sponsored by a couple described as “pillars” of the community.
Around 100 people, including Mayor of Redbridge Roy Emmett, attended the unveiling last Wednesday, September 15.
The bench was sponsored by Basheshar and Krishna Bhanot, 89 and 84, who celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary last November marking 60 years of marriage.
Community leader Bali Bhalla, of Ashgrove Road, Goodmayes, said the pair had been “huge pillars of support” to the community and claimed that no-one has contributed more than them financially to the VHP Ilford Hindu Centre.
He added: “They are our oldest volunteers in charitable and community work.
You may also want to watch:
“They inspire us with their energy and vigour. A truly magnificent couple.”
- 1 East London police officer charged with rape
- 2 Teen dies after being stabbed in reported fight on Loxford street
- 3 ‘Game-changing’ kebab chain to open Barkingside branch
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Childhood sweethearts to open 'Brick Lane-style' deli in Barkingside
- 6 South Woodford curry house named best in the nation
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Man charged in connection with alleged police car ramming in Ilford
- 9 Man taken to 'trauma centre' after head injury at Hainault station
- 10 Roof damaged in Seven Kings house fire