Redbridge Council and police launch task force to tackle crime in Ilford Town Centre
- Credit: Archant
A new multi-agency task force has been launched to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour in and around Ilford town centre.
The dedicated frontline team — comprised of six council enforcement officers and 11 police officers — will provide high visibility evening and late-night patrols seven days a week.
This 17-strong task force — the first of its kind in Redbridge to be given powers of arrest — is set to target prostitution, street crime and anti-social behaviour as it aims to support the borough’s established Neighbourhood Teams.
A joint council and police venture, officers will also focus on tackling pop-up brothels in the Ilford Lane area.
Council leader Cllr Jas Athwal described the task force as “a unique asset to our borough”, adding: “We’re committed to investing in extra resources on the frontline of the fight against criminal behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“The team are now patrolling our streets, increasing our capacity to address some of the biggest concerns in our community.”
- 1 Two men arrested after kidnapping in broad daylight in South Woodford
- 2 Man charged with murder after elderly woman found dead in bathtub in Clayhall home
- 3 Two men arrested in Chigwell on suspicion of kidnap
- 4 Ilford business owners adjust to new world on reopening
- 5 Barkingside axe attack: Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, police appeal for witnesses
- 6 Attempted murder arrest after woman seriously injured in Barkingside
- 7 Physical and mental health long-Covid rehab programme launches in Ilford
- 8 Temporary post office to open in South Woodford
- 9 Redbridge leisure centres reopen after latest easing of restrictions
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after elderly woman dies in Clayhall