New sexual health clinic in Ilford as abortion and STI numbers on the rise
A new contraception clinic for young people is up and running in Ilford to help young people have better access to sexual health advice.
The centre, at Loxford Polyclinic, in Loxford Lane, opened last month and provides information on a range of methods.
Redbridge Council is now in charge of public health in the borough and wants to raise awareness of sexual health services.
A spokesman said: “With the number of abortions and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) on the increase in Redbridge, measures are being strengthened to help prevent unwanted pregnancies and STIs as well as HIV.
“To avoid unnecessary abortions or the pain of STIs sexually active youngsters are being urged that as well as using condoms they should consider long lasting contraception such as implants, injections and Intrauterine Devices (IUDs).”
Most community pharmacies provide chlamydia screening, emergency contraception and condoms with no appointments necessary.
Other clinics are available at centres including the Hainault Health Centre, in Manford Way, and 52 sites across the borough offer free condoms.
- 1 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 2 Events held to mark Ilford Christmas lights switch-on
- 3 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 4 No more strikes planned at school but dispute resolution unclear
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 Missing man seen on Chigwell Road found 'safe and well'
- 7 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 9 Update on search for older man walking barefoot along Chigwell Road
- 10 Waiting almost over as business award winners to be revealed
Call 01708 503838 for information on clinics or visit www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.