New sexual health clinic in Ilford as abortion and STI numbers on the rise
A new contraception clinic for young people is up and running in Ilford to help young people have better access to sexual health advice.
The centre, at Loxford Polyclinic, in Loxford Lane, opened last month and provides information on a range of methods.
Redbridge Council is now in charge of public health in the borough and wants to raise awareness of sexual health services.
A spokesman said: “With the number of abortions and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) on the increase in Redbridge, measures are being strengthened to help prevent unwanted pregnancies and STIs as well as HIV.
“To avoid unnecessary abortions or the pain of STIs sexually active youngsters are being urged that as well as using condoms they should consider long lasting contraception such as implants, injections and Intrauterine Devices (IUDs).”
You may also want to watch:
Most community pharmacies provide chlamydia screening, emergency contraception and condoms with no appointments necessary.
Other clinics are available at centres including the Hainault Health Centre, in Manford Way, and 52 sites across the borough offer free condoms.
- 1 Redbridge issued more than 2,800 Blue Badge fines in 2020, data shows
- 2 Sam Tarry MP urges Sadiq Khan to block Goodmayes Tesco development
- 3 Barkingside man charged with intending to supply cannabis
- 4 Charity urges council to tackle alleged Ilford Lane anti-social behaviour
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 7 BHRUT doctors taking on triathlon in memory of colleague’s daughter
- 8 King George Hospital gets new ultrasound rooms and upgraded machines
- 9 Protestors decry 'privatisation' of NHS outside Loxford Practice
- 10 Former Homebase development plans approved
Call 01708 503838 for information on clinics or visit www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.