New Redbridge Carnival Queen winner announced
The new Redbridge Carnival Queen was chosen last night after a closely contested audition process.
The event was held at hairdressing salon Toni and Guy in High Road, Ilford and saw seven finalists hoping to land the ambassadorial role.
It was won by Julia Gold after she impressed a judging panel which included Redbridge Mayor Cllr Chris Cummins, salon manager Kiran Patti and former queen Kaijul Pahl.
The runners up were Natashai Ragavan and Neelam Raval who will be carnival princess.
Entrants were given some public speaking training before they were asked questions about their community involvement and hobbies.
You may also want to watch:
They also strutted down a catwalk after having their hair styled and make up applied by salon staff.
Mr Cummins said: “It was a close event and very difficult to pick a winner.
- 1 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
- 2 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 3 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 4 Driver in critical condition after Ilford shop crash
- 5 Man rushed to hospital after being robbed and stabbed in Ilford
- 6 Fireaway pizza branch to open in South Woodford
- 7 Teenager charged over Sven Badzak death in Kilburn
- 8 Hospital left dying 103-year-old veteran without food, inquest hears
- 9 Jailed: ‘Opportunistic predator’ who kidnapped and raped woman
- 10 Motorbike 'deliberately' struck by car in Redbridge, police say
“There was little between the girls and all of them would have represented the borough well.
“We decided to choose Julia because of her communication and presentation skills and her all round ability.”
Carnival chairman Wilson Chowdhry said: “The amount of community work these girls are involved in is remarkable and a real benefit to our borough and the carnival.
“We hope the annual post held by these girls will be beneficial in helping them to learn new competencies they will be able to transfer to their future work and societal roles.
“Thanks to Toni and Guy staff for arranging an awesome evening.”