New Redbridge Carnival Queen winner announced
The new Redbridge Carnival Queen was chosen last night after a closely contested audition process.
The event was held at hairdressing salon Toni and Guy in High Road, Ilford and saw seven finalists hoping to land the ambassadorial role.
It was won by Julia Gold after she impressed a judging panel which included Redbridge Mayor Cllr Chris Cummins, salon manager Kiran Patti and former queen Kaijul Pahl.
The runners up were Natashai Ragavan and Neelam Raval who will be carnival princess.
Entrants were given some public speaking training before they were asked questions about their community involvement and hobbies.
You may also want to watch:
They also strutted down a catwalk after having their hair styled and make up applied by salon staff.
Mr Cummins said: “It was a close event and very difficult to pick a winner.
- 1 Ilford murder investigation launched after woman dies of injuries
- 2 Ilford Town only place in London with average house price below £250,000
- 3 First residents move in to new council homes in Hainault
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 More than a thousand attend Eid in the Field in Woodford Green
- 6 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 7 Sam Tarry MP: 'My focus is on job creation in Ilford'
- 8 Wes Streeting MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 9 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 10 Maria Rawlings death: Man arrested on suspicion of murder
“There was little between the girls and all of them would have represented the borough well.
“We decided to choose Julia because of her communication and presentation skills and her all round ability.”
Carnival chairman Wilson Chowdhry said: “The amount of community work these girls are involved in is remarkable and a real benefit to our borough and the carnival.
“We hope the annual post held by these girls will be beneficial in helping them to learn new competencies they will be able to transfer to their future work and societal roles.
“Thanks to Toni and Guy staff for arranging an awesome evening.”