New ‘East London’ travel book for Olympics excludes Redbridge
A best-selling travel publisher has excluded Redbridge from its new Stratford and East London guidebook.
The book was released by Lonely Planet to coincide with the Olympics and is available free online and in a Kindle edition.
It features Newham, Hackney and Tower Hamlets among other boroughs – but stops east of Stratford.
A Lonely Planet spokesman said: “The book is aimed at visitors who are in the capital for the Olympics.
“For this reason, the eBook focuses on ideas and inspiration on what to do around the Olympic sites and eastern parts of the city that are easily accessed from central London.”
But a Wanstead blog is aiming to fight the omission and “put it right”.
Wansteadium is running a Visit Wanstead campaign, inviting residents to put together their own tips for the area.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 5 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on
The website reads: “With millions of visitors in town and the eyes of the world on East London, one might think it was just the time for such a work to mention the wonders of Wanstead (even if only in passing).
“But no – an initial eager check of the index shows no mentions of Wanstead. An incredulous full search of the entire text turns up nothing.”
View the campaign at www.wansteadium.com.