Need to buy Valentine’s Day presents? See what you can get in Ilford for £10
- Credit: Archant
Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about big spending and lavish gifts.
To prove it, I went shopping in Ilford town centre with just £10 to spend on a card and presents.
My first port of call was the Body Shop in the Exchange Ilford shopping centre, where I picked up some pink strawberry lip balm for £2.
Sales assistant Leon Legorji said the bestsellers for the romantically-minded were strawberry, chocolate and moringa flower body butter.
“I suppose it’s a different way of doing the traditional flowers and chocolate, and strawberries are very romantic,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Chocolates are a safe bet so the next stop was Thornton’s, also in the Exchange, where a chocolate love bird was £1.99. Jan Daw said it was her 18th Valentine’s Day working in the chocolate shop, but not much has changed. “I’d say it’s about 60-40 the number of men to women we have. Everybody likes chocolate. Heart-shaped boxes are the most popular, no matter what the cost. A lot of people leave it to the last minute and even come in on the day, especially the men.”
- 1 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 2 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 3 Cash and jewellery taken in Ilford shop robbery
- 4 Car fire on A406 in South Woodford causing 'serious' delays
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 MP Sam Tarry: 'Much more needs to be done to support local businesses'
- 7 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 8 NHS pilot to end blood test services at two Redbridge sites
- 9 Lloyds Bank announces Gants Hill branch closure
- 10 Council leader hails 'affordable' housing development in Wanstead
Rebecca Atanda, marketing co-ordinator at the Exchange Ilford, said for some shops Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest times of the year: “Perfumers, gift shops, chocolatiers and jewellers – it is a key time for them. Other retailers selling clothes and shoes don’t see a drastic increase in sales but we do a lot of gift cards.”
The budget was running low after blowing £3.50 on some dangly earrings made of interlinking hearts at Claire’s Accessories, so I thought I’d give Poundland a go.
Red furry handcuffs seemed to be the top seller in the ravaged Valentine’s section so they went in the basket along with a cuddly teddy bear.
With just 51p left to spend, I went to the Card Factory, in High Road, for something to get the all-important message across.
A beautiful sparkly card cost 59p, pushing the haul slightly over budget.
So boyfriends on a budget take note – you can get chocolate, jewellery, make-up, a cuddly toy and a card for just £10. Who said romance is dead?