Napier Arms plans change but South Woodford residents still say no
CONTROVERSIAL plans for a late pub licence have brought forward the closing time, but residents are still angry.
In January, the Recorder reported how neighbours urged the council to reject any proposals from the Napier Arms in Woodford New Road, South Woodford, to stop it turning into a nightclub.
Last week, it lodged plans to serve alcohol and play live music until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays, but then reduced the time to 1am following a backlash from people living nearby, which saw more than 70 objections.
The pub would still be open until 2am to allow customers to finish drinks and leave gradually.
Neighbours have insisted an extension of the existing hours is not practical because they already experience problems.
You may also want to watch:
Church End ward Cllr Richard Hoskins said: “The present closing time of midnight is late enough for a pub in a residential area.
“This application represents a new style of pub/club and has hardly any seating.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 7 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 8 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 9 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 10 Public in 'parallel universe' to hospitals on Covid measures, meeting told
“Yes, the owner has made a concession, but it’s not big enough because there will still be large crowds spilling into the street late at night which will disturb residents.”
Speaking in January, owner Cameron Russell insisted that he would do his best to work with residents to ensure they would not be affected.
A decision will made by councillors on Tuesday.