Napier Arms plans change but South Woodford residents still say no
CONTROVERSIAL plans for a late pub licence have brought forward the closing time, but residents are still angry.
In January, the Recorder reported how neighbours urged the council to reject any proposals from the Napier Arms in Woodford New Road, South Woodford, to stop it turning into a nightclub.
Last week, it lodged plans to serve alcohol and play live music until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays, but then reduced the time to 1am following a backlash from people living nearby, which saw more than 70 objections.
The pub would still be open until 2am to allow customers to finish drinks and leave gradually.
Neighbours have insisted an extension of the existing hours is not practical because they already experience problems.
You may also want to watch:
Church End ward Cllr Richard Hoskins said: “The present closing time of midnight is late enough for a pub in a residential area.
“This application represents a new style of pub/club and has hardly any seating.
- 1 Ilford Exchange Debenhams to permanently close
- 2 Funeral service for 'giant of Aldborough Hatch' Ron Jeffries to be streamed on Facebook
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Charge! New fleet of electric vehicles for Redbridge Council
- 5 Spiritual Life: What next for the great Hindu temples of Redbridge?
- 6 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 7 Chigwell school puts pupils' baking skills to the test
- 8 'Scrapping Universal Credit uplift will lead to poverty', MP says
- 9 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
“Yes, the owner has made a concession, but it’s not big enough because there will still be large crowds spilling into the street late at night which will disturb residents.”
Speaking in January, owner Cameron Russell insisted that he would do his best to work with residents to ensure they would not be affected.
A decision will made by councillors on Tuesday.