Muslim organisation in Ilford raises £1k for homeless charity during Ramadan
A Muslim organisation has raised more than £1,000 for a homeless charity to mark Ramadan - the holiest month in the Islamic calendar.
The Federation of Redbridge Muslim Organisations (Formo) has raised the money for Jason Lee House, York Road, Ilford.
The homeless shelter gives support to people who have mental heath, drug or alcohol problems.
Mohammed Asif, chairman of Formo, said: “The issue of homelessness is a major problem in the borough of Redbridge as well as a common issue across the UK.
“The blessed month of Ramadan is an opportunity for Muslims to spiritually connect but also remind themselves of their responsibility to help those who are less fortunate.”
The donation is part of Formo’s initiative to help the homeless with started in December with donations for winter night shelters and food banks.
- 1 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 2 Mercato Metropolitano to host taster market in Ilford
- 3 Thief threatened woman with bottle at Ilford High Road Sainsbury's Local
- 4 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 5 Call for witnesses after man, 54, dies following Eastern Avenue collision
- 6 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 7 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 8 Covid-19: How Redbridge's current figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 9 Which Underground lines are affected today
- 10 Festivities planned to mark Ilford's Christmas lights switch-on