Muslim community help Redbridge’s rough sleepers
- Credit: Archant
Hats, coats and gloves will be keeping rough sleepers slightly warmer this Christmas after a large donation from the Muslim community.
Mohammed Omar, a board member for the Gardens of Peace Muslim Cemetery, presented the haul to the Welcome Centre in St Marys Road, Ilford last week.
About 300 items were donated including scarves, coats and trousers among other items.
Mr Omar, 55, said: “It is extremely important because in our religion we are taught that it is our duty to help anyone who is less well off than ourselves.”
“Homelessness does not only affect one faith community and we are happy to assist in any way possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Sonia Lynch, manager at the Welcome Centre which gives homeless people support ranging from medical assistance to new clothes, said she was grateful for the donation.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 4 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 5 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 6 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 7 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 8 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 9 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 10 Jailed: Newbury Park man for 'ludicrous' bid to defraud employer of £670k