Muslim community help Redbridge’s rough sleepers
- Credit: Archant
Hats, coats and gloves will be keeping rough sleepers slightly warmer this Christmas after a large donation from the Muslim community.
Mohammed Omar, a board member for the Gardens of Peace Muslim Cemetery, presented the haul to the Welcome Centre in St Marys Road, Ilford last week.
About 300 items were donated including scarves, coats and trousers among other items.
Mr Omar, 55, said: “It is extremely important because in our religion we are taught that it is our duty to help anyone who is less well off than ourselves.”
“Homelessness does not only affect one faith community and we are happy to assist in any way possible.”
You may also want to watch:
Sonia Lynch, manager at the Welcome Centre which gives homeless people support ranging from medical assistance to new clothes, said she was grateful for the donation.
- 1 Girl, 16, allegedly raped in Ilford park
- 2 Woodford Green bomb scare declared false alarm
- 3 Travelling in and out of Redbridge? Your guide to road and rail works
- 4 Upcycle and recycle market coming to former Goodmayes Homebase site
- 5 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 6 Lorry driver cleared over elderly couple's crash deaths, inquest hears
- 7 Clouds, rain and sunny intervals: East London weather forecast this week
- 8 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 9 Newbury Park supermarket security staff step in to help man in crisis
- 10 Doctor struck off after working underqualified for locum shifts