Mum’s accident “miracle” outside Funky Mojoe, South Woodford

�A woman who narrowly avoided serious injury in a late-night collision has described her escape as a “miracle”.

Amy Flynn, 26, and her friend Imma Lleshi, 26, were hit by a seven-seater taxi as they were crossing High Road, South Woodford, in the early hours of Saturday morning.

After receiving emergency treatment at the scene they were taken to Whipps Cross hospital by ambulance, but despite having been thrown into the air by the impact, both escaped with little more than cuts and bruises.

Trainee fitness instructor Miss Flynn said: “We were crossing the road with my brother Danny when the taxi came out of nowhere.

“I went flying – at first I was hysterical and then I was going in and out of consciousness, so my friend put me in the recovery position.

“My brother was holding me in his arms.”

“I just can’t believe that we survived. It is a miracle.”

Most Read

The group had been enjoying a night out at trendy nightspot Funky Mojoe, also in the High Road, before leaving the bar to travel home when the accident happened.


The driver of the dark-coloured taxi stopped briefly at the scene before driving to Woodford Green police station, further down the High Road, to report the incident.

Miss Flynn’s brother said he thought the car had been going at about 40mph.

“The car didn’t seem to brake,” Danny said. “I can’t believe he didn’t see them.

“My sister and her friends were in pieces. I thought they were dead. It was a complete miracle that they weren’t hurt – especially as it was Mother’s Day the next day and they are both mums.”

Miss Flynn and Miss Lleshi are now recovering at home from the accident, which left them both badly bruised and walking with crutches.

A police spokesman said: “The incident was initially treated as a failure to stop accident but the driver involved went to South Woodford police station at 2.36am.

“He explained that there was a large crowd of people and he didn’t feel safe about stopping there.

“We have nothing on our system to say he was arrested and the incident has gone to the traffic unit for further inquiries.”