Mount Kilimanjaro calls for young Ilford fundraiser
A YOUNG fundraiser has pledged to take on one of the tallest mountains in the world for charity.
Hussain Manawer, 19, of Endsleigh Gardens, Ilford, will climb Mt Kilimanjaro on Boxing Day, and hopes to reach the summit on New Year’s Day.
“I climbed Ben Nevis a couple of weeks ago, which was exhilarating,” he said. “It was like a practice run.
“This will be a real challenge, but I have got a dietary adviser and fitness people advising me and gearing me up for the trek.”
Hussein is set to travel to Africa with Action Challenge, a company which provides support for fundraisers and thrill seekers setting off on potentially dangerous adventures.
You may also want to watch:
The 19,341ft climb is expected to take five days.
He said: “I looked into going with a group of friends but when I saw all the medical implications, such as the oxygen becoming thin, I decided against it!”
- 1 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 2 Redbridge parents' group donates six new laptops to families in need
- 3 Restaurant faces losing licence after allegations of illegal club nights during pandemic
- 4 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 5 Residents furious after car park and lift flooded since before Christmas
- 6 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 7 Restaurant stripped of its alcohol licence
- 8 Growing public support for tougher pet theft sentences
- 9 From City Hall: Increase of council tax a slap in the face for every struggling Londoner
- 10 Safeguarding concerns at 'outstanding' Atam Academy in Chadwell Heath
The University of Westminster student hopes to raise �10,000 to help with the continuing aid efforts in Pakistan.
He raised �1,330 at a charity dinner at Rayyan restaurant in Cranbrook Road, Gants Hill last week and has planned a charity football tournament at Newham Powerleague on November 21. To take part and donate �40, contact Hussein on 07572 660804, or to give any donation for the Pakistan relief cause, visit www.justgiving.com/hussain-manawer.