Mount Kilimanjaro calls for young Ilford fundraiser
A YOUNG fundraiser has pledged to take on one of the tallest mountains in the world for charity.
Hussain Manawer, 19, of Endsleigh Gardens, Ilford, will climb Mt Kilimanjaro on Boxing Day, and hopes to reach the summit on New Year’s Day.
“I climbed Ben Nevis a couple of weeks ago, which was exhilarating,” he said. “It was like a practice run.
“This will be a real challenge, but I have got a dietary adviser and fitness people advising me and gearing me up for the trek.”
Hussein is set to travel to Africa with Action Challenge, a company which provides support for fundraisers and thrill seekers setting off on potentially dangerous adventures.
The 19,341ft climb is expected to take five days.
He said: “I looked into going with a group of friends but when I saw all the medical implications, such as the oxygen becoming thin, I decided against it!”
- 1 Pan-Asian noodle bar opens on Ilford High Street
- 2 Fairlop Waters car park to transform into ice-rink for Christmas
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 5 Redbridge Council is watching you: Mobile CCTV vehicle set to tackle crime
- 6 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 7 Travel: What to watch out for across Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Search continues for man who fled scene of Loxford stabbing
- 9 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
The University of Westminster student hopes to raise �10,000 to help with the continuing aid efforts in Pakistan.
He raised �1,330 at a charity dinner at Rayyan restaurant in Cranbrook Road, Gants Hill last week and has planned a charity football tournament at Newham Powerleague on November 21. To take part and donate �40, contact Hussein on 07572 660804, or to give any donation for the Pakistan relief cause, visit www.justgiving.com/hussain-manawer.