More than 11,500 Redbridge residents still out of work as unemployment falls
An estimated 11,600 Redbridge residents are out of work, according to the latest government statistics.
Only 5,613 people were claiming Jobseekers’ Allowance in September, meaning more than half of unemployed residents do not qualify for the benefit for people actively looking for a job.
Unemployment has been falling for the last two years in the borough and Redbridge now has the 13th lowest figure for worklessness in London, standing at roughly eight per cent of the population.
The figures, by the Office for National Statistics, showed dramatically different rate of benefit claims in Redbridge’s different political constituencies.
In Ilford North, covering Woodford Bridge, Barkingside, Clayhall and Hainault, only 2.7pc of people claim Jobseekers’ Allowance.
You may also want to watch:
But in Ilford South, including less affluent parts of Ilford, Seven Kings and Goodmayes, the figure is nearly 4pc and even higher in Leytonstone and Wanstead at 4.3pc.
In, Chingford and Woodford Green, 3pc of residents were claiming Jobseekers’ in September.
- 1 Neighbours slam council over Christchurch Green kiosk approval
- 2 Medics treat six people after three-car crash in Ilford
- 3 Best places to have a curry in Redbridge as chosen by readers
- 4 'Last of a dying breed': Ilford pub scoops readers' vote honour
- 5 Award for officers who tackled knife-wielding man at Ilford station
- 6 Bereaved dad's marathon tribute to son who died of rare brain disorder
- 7 Coffee fanatics to open 'lively' new coffee shop in Redbridge
- 8 Three new items Redbridge residents can recycle
- 9 Driver dies after Ilford shopfront crash
- 10 Man dies after fall near Hainault station
Not all unemployed people are eligible to claim Jobseekers’ Allowance.